Friday, October 1, 2010

The Day I Held My Tongue

I got fired yesterday.

My boss called me into her office shortly after 10 AM (Gee, I'm sure glad they kept me around long enough for me to get everything done for them in the morning) yesterday morning. I sat down in her chair and she, very smugly, flipped over a piece of paper and handed it to me. The paper began by stating that they regretfully inform me that my position was being terminated. My boss said that they were letting me go and that it shouldn't come as a surprise. I continue to read through the letter as my boss is running her mouth saying something or another that I didn't really pay attention to. I had heard all I needed to.

I simply got up, while she was mid sentence, and walked out the door. There was a box on my desk (Thanks a lot!) and I packed up my things and left.

I actually surprised myself in the fact that I didn't say anything at all. And trust me, there were A LOT of choice phrases that I really wanted to vocalize. And if you know me, you know that me keeping my mouth shut when I'm being treated completely unfairly is a BIG DEAL!!!

I called my mom. And bawled. And I came home to tell Drew. And bawled. And then you know what I did?

I said, "Screw them!" and I decided that this is the best thing for me. Was I fired unjustly? Yes! Are we probably going to do something about it? Maybe. But this is going to give me the opportunity to do what I want to do.

And you know what? It did surprise me! I'm surprised that a woman can treat another woman so cruely. I'm surprised that I have been open and honest about my condition and about my fertility treatments and this is the way that I was treated. I'm suprised that this woman, who is a mother, can be so compassionless and heartless. I totally understand that this is the business world, but normally, employers will work with their employees. Especially when it's health issues. I could totally understand if I was screwing up, or if it was something from my doing. But this isn't.

I just keep telling myself . . . . KARMA IS A BITCH!

1 comment:

Ashley D said...

OMG!!! Karma is a bitch, it's just more fun to watch when you catch it happening!
Sorry about the job, but I'll keep an open mind like you, with you..if that makes any sense?