Sunday, December 21, 2008

Let the House Hunting Begin

Drew and I have decided to begin house hunting again. We were looking back in June and July for a little while, but ultimately decided to stop with the upcoming wedding. There was only so much that I could tackle at one time. Well, only so many big projects that I could tackle.

Last night, we went over to Josh and Amanda's house. When we were walking inside, we noticed that the house right next door to theirs is for sale. I, jokingly, said that we were going to buy that house and be neighbors. Josh said that the listing realtor actually lives right next door to that house and would probably show it to us. So we scurry over (because it was damn cold and windy last night) and take a peek at the house.
Ok, as with anything, there are good and bad points. Here we go:

Bad:
1. It's small.
2. The bedrooms are extremely tiny. I think that our king bed would fit in the bedroom and leave little room for anything else.
3. There is only a one car garage.
4. There are only 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom and I wanted at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Or at least 3 and 1.5 or 1.8.

Good:
1. It's inexpensive. It's way below what I was looking to spend, so we'd have some money for improvements.
2. There's room to add onto the back so we could expand one of the bedrooms.
3. The basement is nice and we could finish it and add either an extra bedroom or a bathroom.
4. There's a security system.
5. The backyard is pretty big and it's fenced in.

It's very obviously a starter home. I know that we wouldn't be staying there forever. In fact, I see 5-8 years at a max. I really don't want to send my kids to the school district that the house is in. But, it's something. And it would be our first home!

There was another house that we were going to try and look at today, but when we got there, no one was there. We called the number on the realtor sign and the lady said that she didn't see anybody driving around or coming, so she left. Stupid!!! If you're gonna have an open house from 2-4, you better be there. But, I like the house from the pictures, so we're gonna try to schedule a time to go look at it. More on that to come.

No comments: