Saturday, May 2, 2009

Our "Tenants"

A couple of posts ago I mentioned our new "tenants". And you're probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about, who these people are, and how they came to live with us.

As I explained here, they are Mike, Becca, Andy, Johnny, Toby, and Mercury. Mike works with Drew, just in a different area. A couple of weeks after we moved in, they came over to come hang out and see our house. We were showing them the basement and I told them that I would love to rent it out to somebody. Drew jokingly said that they could rent it for $300. ("Jokingly" would be the operative word there.) Apparently, Mike and Becca went home and had a serious conversation about it and decided that they wanted to actually do it. They were living in a small apartment not far from our house. The neighborhood is kinda sketchy I guess.

The next day, Drew came home and asked me what I thought of it. I was shocked at first. First, that they actually wanted to considering the size of their family and the size of the basement. (Granted, our basement is pretty big.) Secondly, $300 seemed pretty cheap. (Granted, it is a basement, but we aren't charging them anything for utilities.)

We have to share the kitchen, but it's big also, so it's not that big of a deal. Strike that.....

It's becoming a HUGE deal. They've been drinking our water, pop, milk, using our condiments, eating our food. We've been cooking dinner for all of us on a regular basis, and you would think that they would have the courtesy to clean up the kitchen. Or at least put away the stuff that only they use.

And don't even get me started on their parenting skills. Or lack thereof.

Thank God I have Drew to vent to about things, and he has me to vent to. We probably would have snapped by now. Remember when I blogged about MTV? Betcha they didn't see this drama? This is not exactly how I expected to spend our first year as newlyweds. We both try really hard not to fight with each other about it. Some days are better than others. It's getting to the point where we're going to say something to them. It's only a matter of finding the right time.

No comments: