Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Hopefully It's Nothing

About six months ago, I blogged here about experiencing some intense, sharp stomach pains. This past weekend, I experienced the same type of pain. A common factor is that they both happened during the beginning of my period. I decided to go to the doctor today because I am still feeling very run down.

I'm happy to report I'm not pregnant, I don't have acid reflux, and she suggested that I eat more. (Thanks a lot, doc. How many years did you go to school for that?) Then, she told me that it sounds like the pains could be associated with endometriosis. I had heard of that term but wasn't quite sure what it was. She basically said that what happens is that cells from my uterus attach to other organs. I did a little researching when I got home, and it sounds like endometriosis can be pretty serious. Some of the symptoms that are listed are what I was experiencing.

My next step is to schedule an appointment with an ob/gyn. I haven't had a pelvic exam in 8 years. Yeah, I know, pretty irresponsible. I had a bad experience the first time, and that kind of scared me away. It's time that I get over it and just go. It's not that horrible, right? Right?? I plan on making an appointment in the next few days for next week if I can. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and whatever is wrong with me can be easily fixed.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Oh dang! My mom has made me go every year since I was 14..
I hope the appointment goes well-- it will be okay!