Sunday, May 22, 2011

Socks, Egg Retrieval, and Shots, Oh My!

I was involved in a lucky sock exchange on a message board that I chat on.  I received my socks last week and absolutely love them!
As soon as I saw them, I knew that I was going to wear the pair on the left to the ER and the pair on the right to the ET since they say "Happy Socks" and I'm going to be happy to (hopefully) be getting pregnant that day.

Yesterday was ER day.  I woke up bright and early since we had to be at the clinic at 8 AM.  The clinic is in Chicago, so we knew we needed to leave by about 6 AM.  Getting to the clinic was a breeze and there was no traffic to deal with at all.  Of course, it probably helped that it was Saturday. 

When we arrived at the clinic, we got called back right away.  They had a room for me with this sign on the door.
As soon as we got in the room, I got changed in the gown and my lucky socks.  The nurse took care of some paperwook and the anesthesiologist came in and started my IV.  I had to empty my bladder (twice) and then I went back to the room where they did the ER.  It was freezing in there!  As I was laying in there, one of the nurses asked if it was my first time.  I told her yes, and then asked if it was hers.  We both laughed and she said no.  Phew!!  She told me that she hopes that this is my first and only time.  So do I!  As I was laying there, I was kind of nervous and I was shaking really bad.  The anesthesiologist was standing by my head and he told me to just take deep breaths and he rubbed my head.  Awww!

The doctor came in and verified my name and birth date, and then the anesthesiologist put the drugs to put me to sleep in my IV.  I will never understand how that stuff works so quick.  One second I'm laying there awake and coherent, and the next second I wake up and everything is over.  I don't even remember feeling tired and closing my eyes. 

When I woke up, I was back in my room and Drew was there.  He said that the whole thing only took about 10 minutes.  I guess that the anesthesiologist wheeled me back to the room and I kept asking them to take pictures of my socks!  Drew said I asked like 10 times for them to take pictures of my socks.  I'm mortified!  I don't remember this at all.  I even prayed on the way to the clinic that I wouldn't word vomit as I was waking up.  Fail!


I looked a little rough when I eventually woke up, but I was coherent and in good spirits.  Thumbs up to feeling pretty ok.  They had put some water and crackers in the room for me for when I woke up.  I drank some water since the nurse told me that I had to pee before I could leave.  I felt pretty good, just crampy.  I told the nurse that I wanted to use the bathroom, basically because I really just wanted to go home.  She grabbed my IV bag and told me not to flush the toilet because she had to check when I got done.  Um, gross!  I don't know what she was looking for, but I guess she saw it, because she told me that she could take my IV out and that I could get dressed. 

They told us as we were leaving that they got 13 eggs.  The also told us that they would call us the next day with the fertilization report.

When we got home, I spent the majority of the afternoon laying on the couch and sleeping.  I had to go take Rachel's prom pictures, and was not feeling very good at all.  Somehow I made it through and immediately came home and camped out on the couch again.

I'm on an antibiotic and I need to, of course, take it with food.  So, it was time to take my dose last night and I opened up the fridge to find something to eat.  A hot dog sounded semi-decent, so I started cooking it up.  As soon as it got done, I took my pill and sat down to eat.  I got about half way through and knew that it wasn't a good idea anymore.  I sure did get sick and threw it up.  Gross!

After I felt a little better, it was time for Drew to give me my PIO shot.  I, honestly, was terrified.  The needle is huge!  I'll have to take a picture to compare the needle from the Ganirelix (tiny) and the needle from the PIO (huge).  I worried for nothing!

First, let me back up and talk about my trigger shot on Thursday.  That needle was the biggest that we had done so far, so I was a little worried.  And Drew had to give it to me in my butt cheek.  At first, I went to lean over the kitchen counter because I wanted something to support me.  Drew tried to stick me and didn't do it hard enough, so it just poked me and hurt.  So, he tried it again, and still didn't break the skin!  I was in a little pain at this point, and slightly annoyed, so I went to go lay flat on the couch.  Thankfully, the third try, he broke skin and gave me the shot.  So, that's why I was a little worried about the PIO last night.

Thankfully, Drew had perfected his sticking skills and he managed to break skin the first try and it didn't even hurt at all.  Of course, my muscle is really sore today and it hurts to sit. 

The clinic called me this morning with the fertilization report.  Out of the 13 egg, 7 were mature, and 5 fertilized!  They are going to call us again tomorrow to let us know how they are growing.

3 comments:

Carissa Cassady said...

Grow eggs, grow!

Grandma~rella said...

Hi Tania :)
Found your blog through Tiffany Pifer's blog. Sure hope you don't mind, I'd truly love to follow along with you on this most amazing journey to parenthood. Many years ago, I too, suffered with fertility. Clomid was about the only option available, as 'test-tube babies' (as IVF was called waaay back then), was not yet available in the United States. I still chuckle to this day about the test tube thingy...and my goodness, how medical science has come such a long, long ways. Thank God! :)
My first miracle baby, my now 32 year old Daughter, was born in March of 1979. The next two wee ones were conceived 100% naturally, with NO medical intervening. Then~my first Daughter suffered nearly 11 years of infertility. After surgeries and other intervention, our miracle Rydan was born in August 2010!
So....It would be a true honor, to follow along, cheering you on, praying for you all and counting down the days to holding your precious bundle(s) in your arms! LOVE your vlogs ~ very, very cool! Also love your 'about me' page~truly precious! :)
Though I do have a blog, my gosh...I am soooo behind. Guess I need to work on it and share my own infertility story, as well as my Daughter's. Hopefully it will give other couples like you guys and The Pifers even that much more HOPE :)
BIG (((HUGS))) G'Ma Cindy :)

Tania said...

Hi G'Ma Cindy!! I would be honored to have you following along on my journey. Thank you for sharing your story. Hearing people's success stories keep my hope alive. Thank you!