Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Rainbow Rice Sensory Activity

A few months ago, I made some rainbow rice for Annelise for a sensory activity.  I figured that it would be a good activity to keep her busy while someone watched her while I was in the hospital with Harrison.  No one actually used it, and it has just sat on the counter since then.  This morning, Harrison went back to sleep just as Annelise was waking up.  I fed her breakfast, and then asked her if she wanted to play with the rainbow rice.  She was entertained for a good 40 minutes until Harrison woke up.  She actually probably would have played longer if I let her.

Rainbow Rice

6 freezer bags
Food coloring
1 5 lb bag of rice
1 bottle of hand sanitizer

1) Put 2 cups of rice into 6 freezer bags.
2) Add 15 drops of food coloring to each bag.  Orange = 8 yellow + 8 red.  Purple = 8 red + 8 blue
3) Add 2 tablespoons of hand sanitizer to each bag.  (I did 20-25 pumps)
4) Mix together and let sit for 20-25 minutes.
5) Heat oven to 170 degrees and dry rice for 15-18 minutes.

No comments: