Thursday, February 13, 2014

19 Weeks - Good News Bad News

Hitting 19 weeks have proven to be quite eventful!  Last night, I was complaining to some friends about some belly pain that I was having.  It was right around my belly button, and it would hurt more if I pushed on it, but occasionally, it would hurt without any pressure.  Most of them said that it was probably some round ligament pain, wasn't that big of a deal, but to call my OB in the morning.  I didn't think it was RLP, because I know what that feels like and this pain is different.  Regardless, I knew that I'd be calling my OB in the morning.

I woke up and made my way to the bathroom (of course) and discovered that I was bleeding.  Cue slight panic.  This was right around 8:30 AM.  My OB's office didn't open until 9 AM, so I hopped in the shower and began getting ready.  I called the office as soon as they opened and informed the receptionist that I was bleeding.  She asked how far along I was, and after I told her 19 weeks, she put me on hold to grab my chart and the nurse.  Once the nurse got on, I informed her that I was bleeding, but it was only brown, which isn't as alarming.  Still something to be concerned about, but not horribly alarming.  She told me to relax for the rest of the morning and to come in at 1 PM, where I would have an ultrasound and my OB would check me.

Once I got there, Sue, the u/s tech, took me back to the u/s room.  Since I was there, and I was 19 weeks, she went ahead and did the anatomy scan that was scheduled for two weeks from today.  Baby was in a great position.  The good news is that the baby looks perfect.  Heart, brain, bones, kidneys, everything looks just as it should.  Even my placenta and cervix looked great.  So, what's the deal with the bleeding?

The bad news?  I have an intrauterine synechiae.  This is scarring on my uterus that may or may not be what's causing the bleeding.  This scarring can pull on the placenta and cause a placental abruption.  Some complications can arise during delivery if the placenta doesn't detach and deliver properly.  If that's the case, my OB will have to do a D&C to remove it, and possibly a hysterectomy if the situation gets very complicated.  This has deemed me high risk.  We will have ultrasounds at least every four weeks to monitor this synechiae and the placenta.

I have been instructed to take it easier.  That is complicated with a toddler.  But, I have been trying to not lift her unless absolutely necessary and to rest as much as I can.  At this point, if something were to happen to the placenta, it would be a miscarriage.  The baby is still too little to be saved.  We have to make it to 24 weeks, which is Viability.  I'm assuming that if things continue to look precarious, then more precautions will be enforced then.  At this point, it's lots of prayers and rest to make it at least 5 more weeks without any issues.

Other than all of that, everything else is good.  I did find out that I have an anterior placenta, which explains why I haven't felt much movement.  That was reassuring.  Baby was moving like crazy during the scan.  Then, almost as if to rest any fears that I was having, I felt outside kicks tonight.  It was like my baby was trying to reassure me that everything would be ok.

I did find out the sex of the baby during the scan.  I called Drew as soon as I left the office to let him know how the appointment went since he couldn't come because Annelise was napping.  One of the first questions was whether it was a boy or girl.  I want to tell a few more family members in person before we share here or on social media.  I promise that I'll spill the news in a week or two.

To make up for it, here's an adorable profile shot of our little one.

No comments: