Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Used To Be So Smart

Before I got pregnant, and I heard the term "pregnancy brain", I used to scoff at that idea.  "Pfffft, I don't understand how you can forget so many things just because you're pregnant."

Then, it happened.

I was overtaken by "pregnancy brain".  I would forget things so easily, and I would have to write down everything.  I used to be able to have a discussion or argument with someone and be very effective with it.  I was very good at listening to what the person was saying and then responding.  Now?  I can't remember what was said three sentences ago.

And, if pregnancy brain was bad, mommy brain is even worse!  I swear that having a child has sucked every ounce of intelligence out of me.  I used to be so smart, and remember practically everything.  And now, I struggle.  If I don't write down an appointment or plans, they get forgotten quickly.  Conversations?  Usually forgotten within a matter of hours, if not minutes.

It has been difficult for me to accept this new me as normal.  I hate not being able to recall details and conversations like I used to.  I'm learning how to cope with this and make adjustments to make my and my family's life a little easier.

But, for now, I look at my beautiful daughter and know that all my forgetfulness is completely worth it when she smiles and laughs at me.  Those are moments that I will never forget!

1 comment:

Words Like Swords said...

I'm SO glad it's not just me. I keep reading words that aren't there and weird little things. The other day I was reading a story about a potato and it was SO confusing... until I realized it was about a child, not a potato. Where did I get that idea!?