Thursday, August 2, 2012

Four Months

Dear Annelise,

Gosh girlie, it really does seem to me like you should be so much older than what you are.  I have watched you just explode into this happy, smiley, shrieking, beautiful baby.  I honestly can't believe how much you have done this past month.  I feel like these next couple of months are sort of the "honeymoon" stage for us.  We're past all the newborn stuff, and we hopefully have a little bit longer before we throw teething pains into the mix.

You had your first big milestone this month, and you rolled from your tummy to your back!  The first time you did it to the left and then you rolled to the right a few times.  You even showed Daddy when he came home that night, which made me happy because I don't want him to miss out on too many of your milestones.  You rolled for two days in a row, and since then you've been on a rolling strike.  You almost don't even act interested in it anymore.  You most certainly do not act interested at all in rolling from your back to your belly.  I think that you'll start to like it more once you realize that all of those things mean that you can be more mobile.  You are so content to sit up and watch everything though.  You do not like to be left alone and would much prefer for me to carry you around so that you can check everything out.

Since you have such fabulous head control, I decided to set up your jumperoo.  You absolutely love it!!  From the first day that I put you in it, you have loved to play with the pieces that slide around and push the music buttons.  Sometimes, you even look like you are dancing to the music.  You have grown big enough that your feet reach the floor and you are starting to get the hang of bouncing in it.  You will typically be entertained in there for anywhere from half an hour to an hour.  Once you're done, you're done, and you let me know it too!  I love that I can put you in there and have two free hands, but I still have to watch you closely because Maya loves to get in your face and cover you in kisses.  As much as I tell her, "one kiss", she still doesn't get it.

You have gotten much more interested in Maya this month.  You like to watch her and, if you're playing on the floor, you will hold your hands out to her.  If Maya comes over and starts to sniff and lick you, you start laughing!  You were petting her the other day and did a pretty good job of it.  We just have to be careful that you don't pull her fur.  We also have to be very careful if you're on the floor because Maya doesn't understand the concept of a "personal bubble".  She has a tendency to just flop her paws around wherever she likes, and I get worried that she's going to clobber you pretty good with it one day.  So, for now, if you're on the floor, I am right next to you at all times.

Mommy and Daddy, especially Daddy, will sometimes sing to you to get you to fall asleep.  You have started to "sing" to yourself when you are trying to fall asleep.  It's this adorable little whine and it absolutely melts my heart.  I couldn't believe it the first time that I heard it.  We were riding in the car and you started to "sing" to yourself and you were asleep within a matter of minutes.  You are so precious.
 
You discovered your feet and you love to grab them now.  It doesn't matter if they are bare, or in footie pajamas, you are constantly grabbing them.  You have started bringing them to your mouth, as with everything else.

E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G goes straight into your mouth.  Your hands, my hands, your toys, your burpies, my nose if you're close enough, everything goes immediately into your mouth.  And let me tell you, when you grab my finger and shove it to the side of your mouth and start chomping, it hurts!  You've got quite the little bite chick!  We'll definitely have to break you of that habit once you get some teeth in that mouth.

I started making this "aaagghhh" sort of monster sound to you to make you laugh, and you recently started making the same sound.  It's so fun to watch you learn something and mimic it back.
 
You just got your first nasty cold and you're working on getting over it.  You were so congested and had a wet cough.  It seems to be breaking up and you don't seem as congested anymore.  I was surprised at how happy you were.  You had your fussy moments, but you still laughed and played.  I hated seeing you sick though.  I just wanted to make you better!

You are growing so well!  You weigh 13 pounds 15 ounces, and you are 24 inches tall.  You wear a size 2 diaper and we are starting to transition you to 3-6 month clothing.

I can't wait to see what this next month has in store for us.  I feel like you are going to start becoming more mobile and maybe even sit up on your own.  I love you with all of my heart.  Watching you grow and learn is such a joy to me.  I love being your mother!

Love you always,
Mommy

No comments: