Friday, April 29, 2011

Real Life Fairytale

The world has been buzzing about this day since Prince William and Catherine Middleton announced their engagement back in November.  I know that I have been looking forward to it.  I wasn't born yet when Prince Charles married Lady Diana back in 1981, so I was ecstatic to be able to witness such a piece of history this time.

Since I don't have a typical job anymore, I've really gotten myself into a weird sleep pattern.  I usually don't go to bed until 2 or 3 AM and then wake up somewhere between 10 AM and noon.  I know, I'm such a slacker, aren't I?  I got into bed by about 2 AM this morning and was listening to the TV as I played Solitaire on my phone to get myself tired.  I found some Royal Wedding coverage that started at 2:30 AM, so I did what any obsessed person would do; I turned it on.  Even though I had already set the DVR to record the event.  Nothing beats watching it live, right?  Well, as soon as I started watching the coverage, I knew that there was no way that I would be able to shut it off and go to sleep, even though I had a busy day today.  So, I stayed up all night and watched it! 

It was so exciting to watch this event happening live.  I am still so in love with everything wedding and would get married again in a heartbeat.  (To the same man, of course!)

There was so much speculation over Kate's dress, and the world was not disappointed.
Personally, it wasn't my style.  I loved the lace, and I think she looked absolutely stunning in it.  However, the bra cups ruined it for me.  They looked pointy and awkward to me.  Her veil and tiara were magnificent.

I can only imagine the nerves that she had before making her long walk down the aisle.  And she had such a long walk, I heard someone say that it took her 4 minutes.  Crazy!
The ceremony lasted about an hour.  Prince William and Kate exchanged vows and he gave her a ring.  After some readings, blessings, and music, they went to a private room to sign the marriage registry.  After that, they exited Westminster Abbey.  No first kiss!!  I'm betting that they snuck a kiss back in the private room.  At least, I would have.
The newlyweds rode in a carriage to Buckingham Palace, where a reception was being hosted by the Queen.
Speaking of the Queen, doesn't she look stunning in yellow!

After a short break, where I fell asleep for about an hour, the newlyweds emerged on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to greet the public.  And share their first kiss!
There is another reception this evening, and Kate changed gowns.  Personally, I like this one much better.
Today was truly a real life fairytale.  A common girl became a Duchess, a Princess, the future Queen of England.  I loved being able to watch this event today and I'll love being able to look back on it and remember.

No comments: