Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Worst Nightmare

It happened. It came back.

The pain, the shakes, the nausea, the vomiting. All of it.

Sunday night I got those intense stomach pains again. Of course, I got sick. And this time, the pain didn't go away. Usually it would kind of come and go in waves. After taking 1000 mg of Tylenol and still being in pain after about an hour and a half, Drew decided that we needed to go to the Emergency Room.

Once there, they started an IV and drew some blood. Then, they gave me something for the nausea and some Tramadol for the pain. They might as well not have even given me the Tramadol because it did absolutely nothing. The doctor came in and told me that my white blood cell count was extremely elevated, which is a sign on infection or inflammation. My count was at 18000 and it usually caps out at 11000 at the highest. They were a little concerned to say the least. The doctor was concerned that it could be my appendix, but wasn't fully convinced because my symptoms weren't classic to appendicitis. The doctor then decided that he wanted to do a pelvic exam. Oh joy!

They asked if I was still in pain, which I was, so they then gave me some Dilaudid. I was loopy and lightheaded before they even pulled the needle out of my IV. However, that took care of the pain.

Then came the pelvic exam. That was awful fun while trying not to pass out. Then, another ultrasound.

Nothing new was found. The doctor said that if I was a male, they could have said that what I was experiencing was appendicitis and gone from there. But since I'm a female and have a uterus and ovaries and all that good junk, they have to rule out problems there first. The doctor suggested that I go back to my OB/GYN the next day and have a follow up with her since the problems were probably associated with my endometriosis.

They prescribed me some Norco (the same stuff I took after my surgery), told me to take 2 as soon as I got them, and sent me home.

When I woke up at 7:30 Monday morning, I took 2 more Norco and went back to sleep for a little bit. I woke up again a little while later, called the doctor, and made an appointment for 1:45 that afternoon. Drew and I eventually got out of bed between 10 and 11 and I went to the couch. I was starving, so decided to snack on some graham crackers. Shortly after that, I began to vomit again. And I could not stop. The time came for us to leave for the doctor's appointment, but Drew called them and told them what was going on with me and they suggested that I just go back to the ER.

So back we went!

It took us 2 hours before we finally got put in a room. Round 2 of IV and lots of fluids and nausea medicine. After the doctor looked at my info from yesterday, he said that he wouldn't be a good doctor if he didn't do a CT scan so he could rule out my appendix. Then began the journey of drinking the nasty dye crap. It wasn't horrible. It was lemonade Crystal light, water, and the dye stuff. I couldn't taste the dye crap, but I'm not a fan of that much lemonade at one time. I don't drink that much liquid in 2 days, let alone 2 hours. I choked down about half of the container and then got frustrated because my stomach was so upset from all of the liquid. They then gave me some Reglan, which the nurse said would help with the full feeling and the nausea.

The CT scan was painless and the results came back that my appendix was fine. They sent me home again and told me to just follow up with my OB/GYN. Two nights in the ER to have absolutely no answers.

I'm frustrated that I'm having these problems again. I'm supposed to be better. My problems were supposed to be fixed after the surgery and taking the birth control. I have an appointment to see the doctor on Monday and hopefully she has some answers.

No comments: