Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday's Word

Lacuna / luh-KYOO-nuh / noun
plural lacunae / luh-KYOO-nee / or lacunas / Lacuna is from the Latin lacuna, "a cavity, a hollow," from lacus, "a hollow.":
1. A blank space; a missing part; a gap.
2. (Biology) A small opening, depression, or cavity in an anatomical structure.

Like most other writers of his generation, he was a profoundly apolitical being, not from any lacuna in his education but as a matter or principle.
-- Walter Laqueur, "The Artist in Politics", New York Times, May 15, 1983

Between the time of my first memory . . . and my second and third memories, I remember nothing. The lacunae of these years I've been able to fill sketchily from the entries in my baby book, which notes such incidents as my first smile.
-- Jaime Manrique, Eminent Maricones

The exodus of wives, relatives, friends and hangers-on had left a big howling lacuna which wrapped the homestead in webs of glorious nostalgia.
-- Moses Isegawa, Abyssinian Chronicles

2 comments:

Dana said...

I have a question. Your picture....did you do a boudiour shoot? I am doing one this weekend for a Valentine's Day gift for the hubby. If you did, how was it?

Tania said...

Yes, my picture is from a boudoir shoot I did for my hubby's wedding present. I had THE BEST time doing it. I took some of my bridesmaids with me and that made it fun too. My photographer was great and made me feel very comfortable. I brought some props that incorporated Drew's interests - a Cubs jersey and some poker chips and cards. I think that he loved those pictures best. So take some props, and some costume jewelry too. Long beaded necklaces look fantasic. My photographer was Leah Stafford and her website is http://intimateboudoirbyleah.com/. She is absolutely fantastic. If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me an email.